Thursday, May 19, 2011

31 Days - Who is Someone You Know That Inspires Beauty?

I work at a place here in Stephenville where I manage houses that have special needs adults living in them. I recently had to explain to one of my clients that she has cancer. Her grace in the moment was inspiring. Her vulnerability and fear was there, but at the same time she was amazingly joyful and did not miss a beat!

Another one of my clients was riding with me in the car when we saw a cat that looked like he had no home. My client's heart broke for the cat, almost to the point of tears, and he decided he wanted to pray for it. His prayer was so simple, so caring and heartfelt that it almost brought me to tears! I learned a lot about the beauty of prayer that day. 

I learn something from my clients every day. Most of them love without any reservations, make everybody they meet feel like a superstar, work hard to be independent, rarely if ever complain about any disabilities they have, and just overall make the most out of life. I realize they have many challenges, but there is a small blessing in that they do not fully understand the world around them. They don't fear life like we do because they don't grasp all the ins and outs of the world. Isn't that how God intended for all of us to be? Adam and Eve were blissfully ignorant until they ate the forbidden fruit. Just to be clear I am not saying we should all avoid knowledge and remain ignorant. We no longer live in perfect fellowship with God in the Garden of Eden therefore we must seek knowledge to know God more. But there is something to having a childlike faith:

Matthew 18:3 "Truly I say to you, unless you turn around and become as young children, you will by no means enter into the kingdom of the heavens."

It's this childlike faith and spirit which my clients exhibit that inspires beauty in the world around them. I'm forever changed because of their influence in my life. That's beautiful!  

No comments:

Post a Comment